The Club has developed certain policies as a foundation for promoting sportsmanship at all levels. Some of these include:
Intramural Team Selection - Beginning in second grade all intramural teams are formed through a draft system. This is done to ensure fairness in competition so that no team dominates and players get a chance to play for many coaches. Therefore, it is not possible to honor requests to play with friends.
Tournament Policies - The Club does not condone All Star teams. All children who are interested will be included in a Long Island Junior Soccer League sanctioned tournament. Each child will be permitted to participate in one tournament and one festival per season. (A complete copy of the tournament policy is available through the Intramural Coordinator)
Travel Team Selection – Travel teams are selected through an open tryout process in May of third grade. All children who have played in the intramural program during the Spring of third grade are eligible to try out. The number of teams the Club will field is determined through a recommendation of the Travel Registrar and vote of the Board. Coaches are not selected until the team is chosen.
Zero Tolerance Policy - All players, coaches, parents, referees and spectators are expected to demonstrate “sportsmanlike” behavior before, during and after games, scrimmages and practices. The Club has adopted a “Zero Tolerance Policy” towards verbal or physical abuse or harassment by anyone involved in the club in any capacity. Severe penalties including seasonal suspension may be incurred by anyone demonstrating inappropriate behavior as deemed by the Board members of the Club. Please remember that our referees are children (14-17 years of age). They are involved because they love the sport and believe in giving back to the community. These may be your children one day so remember this and treat them with kindness.
As a member of the Albertson Soccer Club I pledge to:
· Come to all practices, training sessions and games prepared to play, ready to listen and equipped with a ball, shin guards, water and appropriate dress / uniform.
· Be respectful to all players on my team and other teams.
· Be respectful to all coaches and referees.
· Refrain from using abusive and/or taunting language while at practice, before, during and after a game.
· Refrain from physical abuse of other players, coaches, referees, parents and spectators while at practice, before, during and after a game.
· Support the team and other teammates by following the game while on the sidelines.
As a parent of an Albertson Soccer Club player, I pledge to:
- Support my child’s efforts to be on time and be prepared for all practices, training sessions and games.
- Calmly watch the play and not shout instructions to my child or other players.
- Not question the calls of the referee or the actions of the coach.
- Provide encouragement to my child and all team players.
- Be respectful of all players on my child’s team and opposing teams, coaches and referees.
- Discuss all issues with my child’s coach privately and at a time away from the game.
- Refrain from unsportsmanlike and poor parenting behavior including verbal or physical abuse of players, coaches, referees and other spectators at practice, before, during and after games.
As a parent of an Albertson Soccer Club player, I agree to review these guidelines with my child and to abide by the guidelines as listed.